Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Helicopter Build - Minicopter Diabolo 700

Another update on the Diabolo. To say the least I've had a few issues that I've working out, but I think I'm really close to having a very well flying helicopter now. I had a mechanical setup error on my part, and issues still with the esc/motor/governor setup. Sorry I didn't have any invites, but its been hit or miss to know when I was heading out. Not to mention its been frustrating sorting some issues. So Friday evening I went out to do the maiden flight on the Diabolo, but I had a mechanical setup error. I had the tail slider compensating correctly but the blades were mounted to the slider on the trailing edge, and not leading edge. End result was the tail compensation was backwards and as it spun out of control the tail blades were destroyed. Also the boom spun slightly in the main blocks in the air frame. I ended up tearing down the whole tail and boom down and looked for damage. Ended up nothing but a set of $35 tail blades were damaged. Saturday I took it out after stealing the tail blades off another helicopter to try for a maiden again. I tested out just the tail by taking off the main blades, and letting her rip. After finding everything worked I replaced the main blades. I then found that the motor was pulsing at random times, and almost caused a nasty crash! I took the main blades off again and spooled it up and seen the pulsing. After lots of tweaking I found that the governor gain in the IKON was too high and turned it down, and everything was a go again. Then the YouTube video was the result for its first flight. Back to the grass field again today (sunday) because I had a few things come loose, and I didn't want to take any chances flying over anything but grass. I had 14 degrees of pitch which ended up being way too much with the 715mm blades and was bogging it pretty bad. Took the pitch down to 12.5, and its was still bogging a little. Not really knowing what the motor liked I played around with pmw (pulse width modulation) and took it down from 12 Hz to 8 Hz. That was the ticket and now it is a wicked machine, and at only 1950 rpms! Even at 1850 this thing is a rocket, and the tail is rock solid. I really haven't pushed it too hard yet because I don't trust it mechanically yet, and not being at the AMA field. I have a few other little tweaks to do on the FBL but all in all the helicopter is a mean machine. Its now the most wicked machine in my fleet. I took some pictures of it today while I was out, and of my Henseleit TDR which is also a German made helicopter. My TDR also got some tuning today.I have to say that those Germans make great helicopters! Anthony[br][br][br][br][br][br][br][br][br][br]
Back to the top

Ok, I haven't had a lot of time to work on the Diabolo lately being really busy. Looks like all of the pictures in the thread are also lost which is unfortunate with all the work that it took to assemble. I think I'm going to close the thread since I didn't save the pictures, and the thread really doesn't make sense without the them. Last thing in store for build is a ESC, and Motor swap since I've at wits end with my current setup. I'm settled on a Castle Creations 160a HV, and a KDE 700xf 535KV motor which I'll sure will be a the field soon. 

Thanks guys for following this build.

The Diabolo at the field a few weeks ago

Back to the top

I still can't figure it out.  But I have all the images, am transfering them around now... will make a gallery and work on uploading them all so they are not lost (that's every image ever attached in a thread on the old forum)
Back to the top

Arbo said

I still can't figure it out.  But I have all the images, am transfering them around now… will make a gallery and work on uploading them all so they are not lost (that's every image ever attached in a thread on the old forum)
I understand that this isn't an easy thing to do, and a necessary change. No problems if you can't get things changed over. There will be more builds to come from me!:thumbs:
Back to the top

Anthony, I have never been at the flying field when you were out there with one of your helis. So are you by chance going to be out there on Saturday, if it hasn't rained or isn't raining? From what I hear, I've been missing something really good. 

Jim

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

Jim, I've been pretty busy lately, and haven't had time to get to the field lately. I don't know if you missing out on much. ;)
Back to the top

I decided to do an update on the Diabolo. I ended up doing some drastic changes to it by eliminating the 2s lipo for the electronics, changed the motor, and went with castle creations 160 amp esc. 

I got pretty frustrated with the 2s lipo placement. Things got to be a pain to install the lipo, and keep it out of sight. Also to keep it easy to take out the main packs. I had to eliminate problems and I've had several on this build. So I got a Gryphon 20 amp bec that will run off the 12s lipos. I did a lot of research and found the least amount of problems with it. So the BEC will give a constant 8.4v to all of the electronics. Wow, what a difference in ease not having to worry about the extra pack. 

Next issue I was having was the Motor/ESC combo that I had. I fought many issues with the Kontronik motor and YGE conflict, and I was fed up. One issue was the governor kicking out and the head speed going through the roof and nearly blew up the tail assembly by over speeding. Then random pulsing. So I ended up deciding on a KDE 700 xf 535 g3 motor, and putting a castle 160 with it. The two are designed for each other so no more compatibility issues. This motor is bigger than the Kontronik 750-56 and heavier. I'm going to try out a higher headspeed range to play around with how it flies. The power also jumps from 5.5 hp to 7.5 hp with the KDE, and a whopping 14.8 hp burst for 2 seconds. I set the castle 160 to insensitive to handle 280 amps peaks and should take the KDE motor draws of 250 amps without problems. Now I might need some new lipo's to really feel that kind of power. 

So I took the Diabolo out the weekend before last, but seemed to have lost the pin that keeps the lipo's in place...Hmmm, lost it somewhere, and I had to order a new one. So she still sits with only 3 flights with the new setup. I do know it has loads more power, and I'm much more confident in it now.

Also, I've been getting some wrenching in on one of my other Helicopters that I haven't flown in awhile. I have a compass 6hv thats been collecting dust that I felt like flying again. Its a 600 class helicopter that is very fast, and nimble. I got a new canopy, new blades, and new lipos for it. Also did some rewiring on it to change out the FBL controller from a Skookum 540 to a much better Ikon controller like the rest of my models. I ended up not flying it because the Skookum controller was giving me fits with known firmware problems. Now with the Ikon the thing should fly without a hitch. I'll post a video of me flying it a few years ago.

Back to the top

Here is a youtube link to me flying my Compass 6hv May of 2013. Its another German company, and its a 600mm class helicopter. I couldn't figure out how to embed the video in the post with the new site tools. I'm not sure if the tool is on here or not?

https://youtu.be/oIMvkjSWjfE

Last edit: by Arbo

Back to the top

WOW!  Did you do all that crazy stuff on purpose? Seriously, I'd say you have a boatload of stick time under your belt. Now I really want to see the Diablo fly. 

Back to the top

Tippodriver said

WOW!  Did you do all that crazy stuff on purpose? Seriously, I'd say you have a boatload of stick time under your belt. Now I really want to see the Diablo fly. 

I'm not sure if its good or bad that you're wondering if it was all on purpose or not!? haha Thank you, its just very addicting flying a rotary wing!
Back to the top

So a week ago a professional pilot named Nick Maxwell joined the Minicopter Team. This is really crazy because Minicopter is a small company and doesn't have any real big names flying for them. He is one of the top 5 helicopter pilots in the world so many crazy things will be done with a Diabolo this coming season.

This video is when he was with Team Thunder Tiger with a E700. Amazing flight. I'll post a video of him flying a Diabolo when one comes out since only one poor quality video is available right now, and we can see what a Diabolo is really capable of!

Nick Maxwell night flight at Snohomish - YouTube
Back to the top

I've been busy this winter working on a few things especially the Diabolo. After a few flights on the original setup I decided it wasn't to my liking. I put a KDE 700 G3 535kv motor and its a beast. Also I put on a motor mount with a building in heat sink because the canopy traps a lot of head, but I'll stick a few fans in there after it really warms up outside. I also bumped up the head speed from 1950 to 2150, and some 693mm XF Switch Blades from some 715mm Cyclones. With bumping up the head speed I had to put some stiffer head dampers too. Then I put on a 3 bladed tail and lowered the speed of the tail. Lastly, I put on a bluetooth module for tuning with an app on my phone.

This morning I took out the Diabolo for some test hops flights. I was very nervous after a major overhaul with this many changes, and its like a brand new maiden flight. It spooled it nice and slow in case something went wrong! It winded up to 2180 rpms and talk about a rush especially with the Tri-bladed tail. The tail alone makes a cool whining sound, and the mains bumping... Music to my ears! Its been a few months since I've had it in the air and it is so smooth. All you hear is the blades and a slight sound of the motor & gears meshing. I did one 3 minute flight of a hovering and small circuits with no issues. I checked things over and then took it up one more time with another pack. Second flight I tested out the tail authority of the tri-bladed tail and found it is very powerful! I also did some hard tic tocs with really hard stops, and it is biting the air with tons of authority. 

The reason for the changes? After adding all the electronics the heli ended up a little heavy, and a low head speed with high pitch didn't work out well. I went back to high head speed, mid range pitch, and hard dampers. End result is very precise flight with speed and power. Negative side is wasted energy spinning the blades so fast.

I also maidened the 6hv Ultimate and it also went well! The 6hv is a 600 class that flies fast and very nimble. Seems that a 700 tunes a lot easier than the 6hv and I'll need a few lights to get it flying right. I had tail blow outs, tail is mushy, and the head gain didn't feel quite right on the stock settings. Over the week and next weekend I'm planning on getting everything tuned up. Really, I can't complain with the 6hv. It flew actually pretty dang good for its first flight. Also it came back home in one piece! 

Anthony

Back to the top

One piece is good. What is a tail blow out?

Back to the top

Tail blow out is when the tail isn't strong enough, or isn't compensating fast enough to hold the tail. In my situation the tail kicks to the right under high Pitch conditions. The tail is not keeping up with the torque created by the main rotor. There is a setting that will automatically compensate the opposite reaction to the tail, and will stop letting the tail kick out. The tail should stay in the exact same place until the you give the command to tell it to move.
Back to the top

In case anyone doesn't know the difference between a 600 and 700 class helicopter.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.